Posted here is part 3 – How to Install ESXi 5.5. This part goes through the installation of ESXi 5.5 on VMware workstation 10. The Final Part 4 will be posted this weekend with the installation and configuration of Openfiler shared storage (iSCSI & NFS). Thank you for the e-mails so far!
VMware ESXi 5.5 is a bare metal hypervisor from VMware. Bare metal hypervisors run directly on the host computers hardware to control resources and manage multiple guest operating systems. For your home-lab you will need two ESXi 5.5 hypervisor instances. This guide focuses on how to install a successful instance of the ESXi 5.5 bare metal hypervisor within VMware workstation for your home lab.
- Download ESXi 5.5 software from VMware
- Set-Up Virtual Machine in VMware Workstation
- Install ESXi 5.5
- Configure – Hostname, IP Address, Gateway, DNS on ESXi 5.5
- Test Installation – Access ESXi 5.5 using the C# Windows vSphere Client
- Repeat – Steps 2-5, to create the 2nd ESXi 5.5 Server for your Lab.
Link to the vSphere 5.5 Home Lab Page – Click Here
Direct Link to Part 3 of the series mentioned here – Click Here